My verse....

"I will still be joyful and glad, because the Lord God is my savior. The Sovereign Lord gives me strength.
He makes me sure-footed as a deer and keeps me safe on the mountains."
Habakkuk 3:16-18

Monday, October 27, 2014

Friends hold lanterns of love...

From the moment I was scheduled for my biopsy, friends and family have been with me all the way.  Friends were asking, what were the biopsy results?  Have you heard anything yet?  From the moment my doctor called to tell me it was indeed cancer, my friends and family have surrounded me with love and good thoughts. Friends Meg, Margaret and Lee sat so many hours with Frank during my surgery and waited to see me afterwards.  It was such a comfort to him.

I have received so many cards you would not believe it!!  Since I make cards myself,  I am aware how it cheers a person to get a card in the mail.  Daily my mailbox has been filled with cards from so many loving friends.  They write the sweetest messages to me that I sometimes sit and cry as I read them, but I feel the love they carry with them and it's a cleansing cry. 

Friends check with me to see how I'm doing--from the moment of my lumpectomy surgery to the present--I get so many calls and emails.  I've heard from co-workers that I haven't seen since I retired but they are emailing to see how I'm doing.  My friend Mimi has emailed me a Bible verse every week and has called so faithfully. 

Friends have brought so many delicious meals to us!  Great soups, casseroles, pot roasts!  Our wonderful flock brought a huge, delicious meal to us, enough to share and have several meals. Now Frank can cook and at first he'd tell folks, no, don't bring us food.  But I reminded him our friends are dealing with this cancer diagnosis, too.  When a friend hurts, you hurt, too, and want to do SOMETHING to help them and you deal with it--and to show the person how much you love them.  Our friends are dealing with this by ministering to us.    I honestly don't know what I'd do without our friends!!

My family-- my 94-year-old dad and two of my sisters and one BIL--came up from SC to visit after my surgery and to offer support.  My other sister is coming up to go to my first chemo treatment with me and Frank.  How comforting to have family caring for you.

Flowers, my goodness, friends have brought flowers.  My lovely step-MIL Edna even had a miniature rose bush mailed to me (she's in CA) to cheer me and it really does--every day.

My friend Ginny stepped up and taught my stamp class for me two days after my surgery. She has never done it, but she did that day and did a GREAT job.  Then she brought lunch to Frank and me.  What a special friend to take the weight of my stamping classes off me at that time.  And many of my other stampers also have offered to help prepare for classes and to hold classes.  We will get through this together. 

I've received two books to read from a friend and from my sister Connie.  And my sisters have searched online for me to find becoming hats I can wear when I loose my hair.  Ah, sisters are wonderful.

I could go on reciting ways our friends are in this with us.  In so many ways, I am reminded that none of us is in this world alone! And we do not have to handle troubles alone.  We have to be open to share when we are afraid or down so these friends can pick us up.   To me, it's like Frank and I are starting into this tunnel.  We do not know the way, how it will affect us, what to expect, and we cannot see the end yet.  I feel our friends and family are with us, holding up lanterns of love to light our way.  We are not alone; you are all with us on this journey.

1 comment:

  1. The tunnel analogy is very powerful...we is so much we cannot know or see right now, but our Savior can, and He goes before you. Laura, you are greatly loved!

    ReplyDelete