My verse....

"I will still be joyful and glad, because the Lord God is my savior. The Sovereign Lord gives me strength.
He makes me sure-footed as a deer and keeps me safe on the mountains."
Habakkuk 3:16-18

Monday, November 3, 2014

Hair and contemplating the lack of it....

Just like Dr. H. and his nurse told me earlier, our Nurse Practitioner Linda has told me I WILL loose my hair and I am OK with that.  I want my life saved, who cares if the hair is saved or not!!  All my friends who love me will just have to get used to seeing me with shorter or no hair or in a hat or cap.

I had a regularly schedule hair trim on October 17 and decided to let Shelly go ahead and cut my hair very short, so folks at church could start getting used to seeing me like that.  Here I am before that cut:
Here are Shelly and I right before she cut it.  (We aren't too good at selfies, but you get the idea.)  I know, I know, Frank says it is not that much shorter than before, but to me it was a big change, but you know, I like it shorter. 
This shot is of me the next day when I fixed the shorter "do" myself.  I kind of like it. Even after my hair comes back, I might keep it rather short.

Linda (NP) says I WILL loose my hair by day 15.  She's done her job for 30 years and with these drugs I'm taking, you always loose your hair.  Do I worry about that?  Honestly, no.  But you may hear differently from me after I have lost it all.  But I feel my hair does not define me. We'll see when the time comes.

One of the things I wanted Becky and I to do while she was here was to try on some hats and decide which I'd wear. I had some winter hats on hand from when I had my hair short once before years ago.  Shelly also sent me to a local store where they had some hats deep enough to cover all of a bald head.  And I had ordered some online from a place that specializes in hats for cancer patients  So Saturday morning, Becky and I spent the morning trying on and deciding which to return, which I'd keep, etc.  Here are some shots:

 My great Forest Service friend Kris Connor made this toboggan (below) and mailed it to me and I LOVE it!!  Isn't it the cutest!  Just matches my eyes.  She's such a jewel of a friend!  (I could never make it without my friends!!)  I will wear this one ALOT!!
 Here are a couple more hats:

Becky even got in the act with me and tried one herself. She liked it and said she might start wearing hats too.
There is some hair sticking out around the sides of the hat that will not be there eventually.  I tried to select hats in different colors to go with different color outfits I will wear.  I have some other hats I plan to wear scarves with.  One thing you do notice when you contemplate losing your hair and see these pictures is that a SMILE is very necessary for any look!!  I hope a smile will detract others from the hats and help them focus on ME. 
Smiles, Laura

3 comments:

  1. Laura I think the hats look so cute on you! And I know what you mean about a smile being the best accessory! That is so true! It's neat you and Becky had fun going through your selection and she may start wearing hats too. I'm supposed to wear a hat anytime I go outside since the melanoma on my scalp, but I have not been very diligent about doing so. Perhaps this will encourage me to wear my hat too! I love you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great Laura! I agree a smile is an essential accessory! Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia, for the hugs and compliment. How did you find my blog? Are you a friend of a friend. Well, you are now a new friend of mine!

      Delete