My verse....

"I will still be joyful and glad, because the Lord God is my savior. The Sovereign Lord gives me strength.
He makes me sure-footed as a deer and keeps me safe on the mountains."
Habakkuk 3:16-18

Monday, November 3, 2014

The First Chemo treatment....

I am late writing this entry because Becky was here with me and I didn't want to stay on the computer writing it; nor did I really have time to download pictures for the entry.  I think it is better when you can see pictures to go with the entry. 

Here are shots of me as we entered the Hope Center on October 30 for the first chemo treatment. Becky and I could not resist taking a selfie! 

Becky liked seeing the Hope Center and it helped her to deal with my cancer.  The unknown is the hardest part of anything, so she had been so worried and sad about me and my cancer.  Her being there with me helped me and her.  

Here is a shot of the room and other ladies having treatments.  One girl was having her last one and they celebrated that.  It is a large, bright, airy room and the nurses are SOOO nice to you.
OK, time to start my treatment.  Here is one nurse putting in the first line into my port.
I guess the mask was to insure we did not get any infection into the port.  After bags of saline, anti-nausea drugs, and a couple of other things, they started my first of two chemo medications.  This one was red, so since it was Halloween-eve, I called it Dracula Blood. Figured I might as well have some fun with this. 

 I don't know what I expected it to "feel" like.  I thought it might be very warm, almost hot.  Or it could be very cold, I just didn't know.  Well, it was neither.  It just ran in.  I thought it might make you sleepy as it went in because you have to have a driver to drive you home.  It did not.  Becky and I were able to talk and visit or read mails, etc. while I had the treatment.  Here I am just sitting while the drugs enter my body.  You can see the port and line going it.

 So the day was different from what I expected.  I felt good afterwards and Becky and I went to lunch and then stopped at a local shoe store to try on some shoes.  There it is; the first treatment is over!!  Three of these to go, then I start on another medication.  Whew!  We are still standing!
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment